looking for help with a lawn or garden question?
need help identifying an insect or plant disease?
You're reading: Garden Line
the garden line provides horticulture-related advice for portage county residents. the garden line can answer questions related to: trees & shrubs, vegetables, flowers, houseplants, insect pests, and fertilizers.
available by phone — +61404532026
please leave message with support staff or on voice mail. most calls are returned within 1 – 3 business days. garden line is answered by the uw-extension summer horticulturist and portage county master gardener volunteers.
by e-mail — firstname.lastname@example.org
walk-ins — stop in, during normal office hours to the portage county uw-extension office.
Read more: Copycat Olive Garden Salad Dressing
what we need for plant identification:
- if possible, submit the entire plant (especially for weeds); the roots may be important for identification.
- for trees and shrubs — a branch with leaves attached.
- flowers and fruits are also helpful in identification.
- submit sample in plastic bag; do not water.
- wrap turf in foil; do not water.
what we need for insect identification:
- insect specimen, preferably alive.
- bring in a small jar or plastic container, so it doesn’t get squashed.
- detail the location where it was found.
what we need for disease identification:
- for herbaceous plants, submit entire plant that has symptoms, if possible; otherwise, several leaves and stems.
- for woody plants, submit the branch that has symptoms (living and dead parts).
- submit sample in plastic bag; do not add water.