Looking for help with a lawn or garden question?
Need help identifying an insect or plant disease?
The Garden Line provides horticulture-related advice for Portage County residents. The Garden Line can answer questions related to: Trees & Shrubs, Vegetables, Flowers, Houseplants, Insect Pests, and Fertilizers.
Available by Phone — +61404532026
Please leave message with support staff or on voice mail. Most calls are returned within 1 – 3 business days. Garden Line is answered by the UW-Extension Summer Horticulturist and Portage County Master Gardener Volunteers.
By E-Mail — firstname.lastname@example.org
Walk-ins — Stop in, during normal office hours to the Portage County UW-Extension office.
What we need for plant identification:
- If possible, submit the entire plant (especially for weeds); the roots may be important for identification.
- For trees and shrubs — a branch with leaves attached.
- Flowers and fruits are also helpful in identification.
- Submit sample in plastic bag; do NOT water.
- Wrap turf in foil; do NOT water.
What we need for insect identification:
- Insect specimen, preferably alive.
- Bring in a small jar or plastic container, so it doesn’t get squashed.
- Detail the location where it was found.
What we need for disease identification:
- For herbaceous plants, submit entire plant that has symptoms, if possible; otherwise, several leaves and stems.
- For woody plants, submit the branch that has symptoms (living and dead parts).
- Submit sample in plastic bag; do NOT add water.