The Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiologist
A clinical cardiac electrophysiologist, or cardiac EP, is a healthcare supplier who treats heart rhythm problems. A cardiac EP is a type of cardiologist. A cardiologist is a healthcare supplier who has had 3 or more years of extra training beyond inner medicine to treat problems of the affection and blood vessels .
What training does a cardiac EP have?
A cardiologist has at least 10 years of aesculapian training. This includes 4 years of medical school, 3 years of coach in home medicine, and 3 or more years in early special train, specifically in cardiovascular disease. They must then pass a screen from the American Board of Internal Medicine .
A cardiac EP is a cardiologist who completes 2 years of extra training beyond that required for board documentation in cardiology. They are first certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in the peculiarity of cardiovascular disease . This focuses on caring for patients with diseases of the heart and blood vessels including center approach, valve disease, and some arrhythmias. After becoming board certified in cardiovascular disease and finishing the extra 2 years of EP prepare, the provider then is certified in the subspecialty of clinical cardiac electrophysiology. This cardiac sub-specialty focuses on testing and treating the heart for rhythm problems. A clinical cardiac electrophysiologist has the specialized education and experience needed to perform advance cardiac-related procedures and interpret their results.
Bạn đang đọc: The Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiologist
When would I see a cardiac EP?
A cardiac EP is not your primary coil healthcare provider. This healthcare supplier only works with patients who need particular heart-related manage. Your healthcare provider may refer you to a cardiac EP if you have symptoms of heart rhythm problems. These may include dizziness, faint, and fluttering feelings in your chest. Or you may see a cardiac EP if you have risk factors for a dangerous cardiac arrhythmia, such as heart disease. You would probably see a cardiac EP in a hospital or cardiac clinic .
What does a cardiac EP do?
cardiac EPs examination for, diagnose, and dainty abnormal heart rhythm method of birth control. abnormal heart rhythm are called cardiac arrhythmia. EPs need know how the center works, what kind of cardiac arrhythmia there are, and what may cause them. They besides know how to do different kinds of tests. They know how to implant especial devices in the soundbox to regulate the blink of an eye. They besides do special procedures such as cardiac ablation to fix heart cycle problems. And they can prescribe medicate and life style changes, and make other recommendations. They often work with a general cardiology practice or at a cardiac hospital .
A cardiac EP can diagnose and treat conditions such as :
- Atrial fibrillation. This is an irregular, fast heart rhythm in the upper chambers of the heart .
- Bradycardia. This is a pulse that is excessively dull .
- Tachycardia. This is a blink of an eye that is excessively fast .
- Ventricular tachycardia. This is a dangerous type of very fast blink of an eye .
- Supraventricular tachycardia. This is a sudden, identical fast blink of an eye from the top chambers of the heart
- Ventricular fibrillation. This is a dangerous palpitate of the heart muscle that doesn ’ triiodothyronine let the heart pump blood. This condition can be black .
- Sudden cardiac arrest. This is when the heart suddenly stops beat .
- Long QT syndrome. This is a disorder of the affection that can cause sudden cardiac arrhythmia .
- Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome. This is a stipulate that causes episodes of a fast heartbeat. These are caused by an extra electric pathway in the heart .
- Other arrhythmias. Arrhythmias can be caused by pregnancy, music interactions, or metabolic problems .
Testing for arrhythmias
To help diagnose an cardiac arrhythmia, a cardiac EP can order or perform tests such as :
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG). This uses electrodes attached to your chest to record your heart ’ second electric bodily process .
- Blood tests. These are done to check the levels of certain minerals, enzymes, and other chemicals in your rake.
- Echocardiogram. This uses sound waves to show images of your heart structure and gives information about the heart ‘s function
- Stress testing. This looks at how your heart performs when you stress it with exercise .
- Holter monitor. This is a device you wear for 24 to 48 hours. It records your heartbeats using ECG .
- Event recorder. This is a device you wear that records any abnormal rhythm method of birth control of your heart. typically this is worn for 7, 14, or 30 days consecutively .
- Electrophysiology study. This is an encroaching test in which a special thin tube ( catheter ) is placed into a large vein normally in your groin or neck and threaded into the heart. . It shows problems with the heart ’ s electric arrangement .
- Tilt table testing. This looks at how the heart is affected when your body is moved from a lying stead to a standing side on a lean postpone .
- Implantable loop recorder. This is a small device put in the chest under the hide. It records your pulse all the timeand has a battery animation of about 3 years. The device records your heart rhythm and sends it to the EP mechanically. You can besides write down in a diary when you have symptoms, such as dizziness or impression faint .
A cardiac EP can perform certain procedures and order treatments. These include :
- Cardioversion or defibrillation. This is the use of a device to send a shock of electricity to the heart and restore convention electrical natural process .
- Catheter ablation. In this procedure, a slender tube ( catheter ) is put into a blood vessel in the groinand sent up to the heart. A minor contribution of the heart that is causing cardiac arrhythmia is destroyed with radiofrequency or cold department of energy .
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). This includes pressing on the chest of drawers and breathe into the mouth of person with cardiac catch ( not breathing and no heart beat ). It helps send blood through the body and can be life saving .
- Medicines. These can help control center cycle and prevent lineage clots .
- Lifestyle changes. Changes in diet or exercise can help with some heart rhythm problems .
A cardiac EP can besides implant devices in the body to help reset or control heart rhythm. These include :
Pacemaker. This is a small device that ’ mho put under the skin of the breast. It sends out electrical signals to help the heart beat at a normal pace.
Xem thêm: Rims vs. Wheels: What’s the Difference?
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD). This is a small device that is put under the skin of the chest or in the abdomen. It can reset the heart rhythm when dangerous cardiac arrhythmia occur .
- Biventricular pacemaker. This is a small device that is put under the clamber of the breast. It helps the lower chambers of the heart beat at the same fourth dimension. This is known as cardiac resynchronization therapy .
A cardiac EP is not a surgeon. But if a cardiac EP thinks you need operating room, they will refer you to a cardiac surgeon .