Homicide is the kill of one person by another. This is a broad condition that includes both legal and illegal killings. For exercise, a soldier may kill another soldier in conflict, but that is not a crime. There are versatile situations in which the kill of another person does not constitute a crime. The distinction between an illegal and legal kill is, therefore, the remainder between murder and manslaughter .
mangle is a homicide that is the illegal kill of another person. Under California Penal Code Section 187, mangle is defined as one person killing another person with malice aforethought. Malice is defined as the cognition and intention or desire to do evil. Malice aforethought is found when one person kills another person with the intention to do thus.
In California, a defendant may be charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, or capital murder.
Xem thêm: Rims vs. Wheels: What’s the Difference?
- First-degree murder penalties include up to 25 years to life in prison. One type of first-degree murder is capital murder. Capital murder is first-degree murder with “special circumstances” that make the crime even more egregious. These cases can be punishable by life in prison without the possibility of parole, or death.
- Second-degree murder is murder without any preconceived intention of killing. The penalty for second-degree murder is up to 15 years to life in prison.
- Felony murder is a subset of first-degree murder and is charged when a person is killed during the commission of a felony, such as a robbery or rape.
Manslaughter is a homicide that is the unintentional killing of another person. These cases are treated as much less severe crimes than mangle. manslaughter can besides be categorized as voluntary or involuntary .
- Voluntary manslaughter occurs when a person kills another without any premeditation. An example of voluntary manslaughter is killing committed in the heat of the passion. The intent was to kill another person or inflict bodily harm, however, the action was not premeditated. The provocation must be such that a reasonable person under the same circumstances would have acted the same way. Penalties for voluntary manslaughter include up to 11 years in prison.
- Involuntary manslaughter is when a person is killed by actions that involve a wanton disregard for life by another. Involuntary manslaughter is committed without premeditation and without the true intent to kill, but the death of another person still occurs as a result. Penalties for involuntary manslaughter include up to four years in prison.
- Vehicular manslaughter occurs when a person dies in a car accident due to another driver’s gross negligence or even simple negligence, in certain circumstances.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney in California
If you have been arrested or charged with any of the above crimes, you should consult with an experience Los Angeles condemnable lawyer a soon as possible. Contact our legal team at the Law Office of Stein and Marcus nowadays for more information .