If you have any aesculapian questions or concerns, please talk to your healthcare provider. The articles on Health Guide are underpinned by peer-reviewed research and information withdraw from medical societies and governmental agencies. however, they are not a ersatz for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment .
Is Synthroid better than generic levothyroxine ? The first base person to ask is your healthcare supplier. Knowing you and any medical conditions you have, they may have a good reason for recommending one over the early. Ask them to explain ! monetary value may be a component, besides .
For the most part, studies don ’ metric ton show unclutter advantages of one type—brand name or generic–over others. But people ’ mho experiences tell another floor, with some describing feel much better after changing from one conceptualization to another .
- Synthroid and generic levothyroxine are used to treat hypothyroidism, a medical condition caused by low thyroid hormone levels.
- Both Synthroid and levothyroxine are synthetic versions of T4 or thyroxine, the primary thyroid hormone produced by your thyroid gland.
- One is not necessarily better than the other; however, if you decide to switch between brand name and generic levothyroxine, tell your healthcare provider.
- Side effects of both the brand name and generic thyroid medication are similar and include increased appetite, weight loss, heat intolerance, and hair loss.
hypothyroidism is a checkup stipulate where your thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid gland hormones to keep your body ’ sulfur functions in poise.
Bạn đang đọc: Synthroid: a generic Levothyroxine but not the same
If you ’ ve been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, whether from an autoimmune thyroid gland disease like Hashimoto ’ randomness disease or thyroiditis, surgery, radiation, or just a gloomy thyroid gland function, you will need thyroid hormone substitute therapy .
Most people are prescribed levothyroxine, a man-made ( synthetic ) form of thyroxine ( T4 ), the primary hormone that your thyroid gland naturally produces. Thyroxine plays an essential role in regulating your body ’ randomness metabolism, temperature, digestion, and many early processes—this is why it is then authoritative to replace it ( NIDDK, 2016 ). Thyroid hormones are besides used to treat some forms of thyroid cancer .
Over 500 generic drugs, each $ 5 per month
switch to Ro Pharmacy to get your prescriptions filled for just $ 5 per calendar month each ( without insurance ) .
Synthroid is post diagnose levothyroxine sodium ; early stigmatize identify versions of levothyroxine include Levothroid, Unithroid, Tirosint, and Levoxyl. It contains the lapp active ingredients and is used for the same purposes, namely to treat hypothyroidism or low thyroid hormone levels .
Levothyroxine vs. Synthroid: which is better?
many people wonder if levothyroxine ( or levothyroxine sodium ) and Synthroid are the same—and, if not, which might be better. With most medicines, it doesn ’ t matter if you take the generic or mark list adaptation or if you switch between them .
The FDA makes certain that both have the same active ingredients, work the like way, and have the same side effects. then there is the price to consider—generic medicines are normally cheaper .
however, this may not be the case with post list and generic thyroid substitution medicine, like levothyroxine and Synthroid. Endocrine and thyroid organizations like the American Thyroid Association, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and The Endocrine Society are leery that the generic and branded levothyroxine may not behave the like way for every person ( Benvenga, 2019 ) .
This international relations and security network ’ thyroxine confirmed, but the three organizations have put out a statement saying they are concerned about the FDA ’ s method for determining bioequivalence ( similarity between the drugs ) .
While the active agent ingredient ( levothyroxine sodium ) may be the lapp, other “ passive ingredients ” typically added to drug formulations differ between the generic and mark name medications. The dormant ingredients are necessary to help preserve the drug, absorb the medicate, etc .
Some of these inactive ingredients may affect how fast you absorb the medicine and potentially how you respond to the hormone. even belittled differences could mean that you have a meaning remainder in the levels of thyroid gland hormone delivered throughout your body from trade name to trade name or trade name to generic formulations—this will ultimately affect how you feel ( Benvenga, 2019 ).
In general, if you buy the same stigmatize appoint hormone or generic drug from the same manufacturer, batches are relatively consistent in terms of these inactive ingredients, since the same manufacturer makes them. however, be mindful that different manufacturers can make the generic forms of levothyroxine—check with your drugstore to see which generic manufacturer they use and keep it reproducible .
In the United States, depending on your indemnity plan, your pharmacist may be required to switch your trade name list thyroid gland medicine to generic, unless specified by your healthcare supplier .
overall, neither the brand name nor generic is necessarily better than the other. however, once you find which one works best for you, stay with the same mark or manufacturer. If you change brands, trade to generic, or switch from one generic to another, you may need to get thyroid stimulating hormone ( TSH ) blood tests checked after six weeks to ensure that your new hormone therapy is effective. then, follow up with your provider. You may need a dose alteration if your thyrotropin levels are suboptimal ( Benvenga, 2019 ) .
Side effects of Synthroid and levothyroxine
Because the active chemicals in both mark appoint and generic levothyroxine are the same, they share the like slope consequence profile. Most of the english effects of both medications come from getting excessively a lot of the synthetic hormone, leading to hyperthyroid ( besides much thyroid hormone ) symptoms .
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration ( FDA ) has issued a black box warning regarding thyroid surrogate hormones : Do not use thyroid hormones, like levothyroxine or Synthroid, for weight loss or to treat fleshiness. large doses can lead to dangerous and dangerous effects ( DailyMed, 2019 ) .
coarse side effects include ( DailyMed, 2019 ) :
- Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Muscle tremors
- Hair loss
- Increased appetite
- Weight loss
- Inability to tolerate high temperatures (heat intolerance)
- Decreased bone mineral density
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Fertility problems
If your thyroid hormone refilling drug is besides high, you may experience more severe side effects, including ( DailyMed, 2019 ) :
- Fast heartbeat (tachycardia or palpitations)
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- High blood pressure
- Heart failure
- Chest pain (angina)
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Cardiac arrest (heart stops working)
Synthroid and levothyroxine dosage
The dose for both trade name name and generic forms of thyroid gland hormone refilling is the like. overall, the goal is to effectively replace your body ’ second thyroid gland hormone to get your levels back to normal .
Most people use the pill or capsule form of the medications. Generic and brand list pills are available in a kind of doses, including 25 microgram, 50 microgram, 75 microgram, 88 microgram, 100 microgram, 112 microgram, 125 microgram, 137 microgram, 150 microgram, 175 microgram, 200 microgram, and 300 microgram ( UpToDate, n.d ). You should take thyroid hormones on an empty abdomen, at least 30–60 minutes before eating any food. Certain antacids, like those with calcium carbonate or proton-pump inhibitors PPIs ), can interfere with hormone absorption, therefore invalidate taking levothyroxine or Synthroid with these drugs ( DailyMed, 2019 ). Seek medical advice from your healthcare supplier or pharmacist regarding other potential drug interactions .
After starting Synthroid or levothyroxine, your healthcare provider will likely check your thyroid-stimulating hormone ( TSH ) blood tests to see if you are getting enough hormone surrogate. A high TSH level means that you are not getting enough thyroxine and frailty versa. If your acid changes or you change manufacturers, the TSH will need to be repeated .
Cost and coverage for Synthroid and generic levothyroxine
Most insurance plans cover thyroid hormone substitution. however, you should check your coverage plan carefully and speak with your pharmacist before starting on a specific formulation to make surely. The cost of a 30-day supply ranges from $ 4 to over $ 50, depending on the potency and whether it is a brand name or generic ( GoodRx.com ) .
The bottom line : The American Thyroid Association recommends that when you find a formulation that works for you, you stick to the same stigmatize list or generic medication. If you need to change, you should let your healthcare provider know as you may need to repeat thyroid gland testing to make certain that the drug works for you.
For an illness like hypothyroidism that typically requires lifelong therapy, coherent and precise treatment with the lapp thyroid gland hormone brand over time maximizes your chances of effective treatment ( American Thyroid Association, n.d. ) .
once you have chosen your brand or generic formulation, you can ask your healthcare supplier to write “ DAW, ” which means “ dispense as written, ” or “ no generic substitution ” on your subscription to prevent medication changes .
- American Thyroid Association. Q and A: Thyroxine Preparations (n.d.) Retrieved on 12 October 2020 from https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyroid-information/what-are-thyroid-problems/q-and-a-thyroxine-preparations/
- Benvenga S, Carlé A. (2019). Levothyroxine Formulations: Pharmacological and Clinical Implications of Generic Substitution. Adv Ther, 36(Suppl 2):59-71. doi:10.1007/s12325-019-01079-1, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6822816/
- Chiovato, L., Magri, F., & Carlé, A. (2019). Hypothyroidism in Context: Where We’ve Been and Where We’re Going. Advances in Therapy, 36(S2), 47–58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12325-019-01080-8; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6822815/#:~:text=Hypothyroidism%20affects%20up%20to%205,further%20estimated%205%25%20being%20undiagnosed
- DailyMed from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health(NIH):Levothyroxine sodium tablet (2019). Retrieved on 12 October 2020 from https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=fce4372d-8bba-4995-b809-fb4e256ee798
- DailyMed from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health(NIH):Synthroid (2020). Retrieved on 12 October 2020 from https://www.dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=1e11ad30-1041-4520-10b0-8f9d30d30fcc
- GoodRx.com Levothyroxine (n.d.) Retrieved 12 October 2020 from https://www.goodrx.com/levothyroxine?dosage=50mcg&form=tablet&label_override=levothyroxine&quantity=30
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders (NIDDK) – Hypothyroidism (2016). Retrieved 12 October 2020 from https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/endocrine-diseases/hypothyroidism